4 Common Crimes Prosecuted by Federal Court

Whether you have been arrested for DWI, drug possession, theft, or even murder in Texas, the state courts will most likely handle your case because you allegedly violated state laws. However, there are certain types of criminal offenses that have national interest at stake or may violate federal laws.

The following are the most common types of crimes prosecuted by federal court:

  1. When a crime happens federal property – From federal banks and military bases to national forests or Indian reservations, any type of offense that occurs on federal land will be under federal jurisdiction. In addition, any crime against a federal officer (e.g. FBI, DEA, ATF, DHS, etc.) will be handled in federal court.
  2. When a crime takes place in more than one state – For instance, a drug trafficking operation spanning multiple states.
  3. When an alleged criminal crosses state lines – For example, when an individual kidnaps someone from Texas and drives them all the way to California.
  4. When a crime violates customs or immigration laws – Common examples include counterfeiting money, import and export violations, international human or sex trafficking

Remember, federal penalties are more severe compared to state penalties. A conviction can result in a lengthy federal prison sentence, which includes a harsh mandatory minimum sentence.

Federal courts may take a while to resolve criminal cases due to the complexities of such matters. Additionally, federal investigations take longer to conduct in order to gather enough evidence to bring the most serious charges against someone.

Whether you have been contacted by federal authorities or believed you are being surveilled, our Fort Worth federal defense attorneys at Goza & Carreras, Attorneys at Law are ready to protect your rights and freedom. Our legal offers full case management from start to finish and ensure you will have your privacy throughout the legal process.

Contact us today at (817) 402-2188 to schedule a free consultation and discuss your case with our firm.